Joyful Heart Rhyming Times: Bible and Rhyme
(a chronological study of Bible stories,
rhyming, and letters
for 3-5 year olds)
- To develop a growing respect and love for God and His Word
- To build connections between Bible teachings and other academic areas of learning
- To expound upon their sense of awe and wonder about how their world works.
- To hear, recognize, reproduce, and manipulate the
sounds of language in a playful manner.
- To introduce the names and sounds of letters in a meaningful way.
- To develop basic math concepts using manipulatives - a 'hands on' process.
- To instill an overall love for learning through enjoyable,
developmentally appropriate experiences
Scope and Sequence for Bible and Rhyme
An Overview of the Lessons
There are a total of 38 planned weekly themes in the Joyful Heart Bible and Rhyme Curriculum, designed to be used during a typical school calendar year (August through
May). Each weekly theme, listed below,
is based on a Bible story. A nursery rhyme was chosen to correspond with each Biblical text. Phonemic awareness, Bible memorization, a simple science concept, cooking, songs and movement, and letter recognition and sounds are incorporated into each set of weekly lesson plans. The review weeks are intended to be used to review all aspects of the curriculum and to build in opportunities to work with seasonal concepts and activities.
More In Depth Details will take you to pages containing three weeks worth of plans. A Daily Plan Sheet, samples of activities, words to songs, and free
printables for each week are posted.
Bible Story Web Plan Links will open a PDF that shows a curriculum integration web (overview) for each week.
Bible Story Text Links will take you to the Biblical text as found at BibleGateway.com.
This is a 3 page sheet to show the full 38 week sequence for phonics, Bible, memory verses,
nursery rhymes, math concepts, and science concepts at a glance.
Quick Reference Sheet -
A list of Suggested Books to use with this curriculum for the entire year. Just print it out and
take it to the library with you!
- Preschool Art: It's the Process Not the Product by Mary Ann Kohl. Gryphon House: 1994. ISBN: 0876591683
Bible and Devotions:
- The ABC Bible Storybook by Karen Ann Moore. Cook Communications: 2000. ISBN 0781433908
- Devotions for Little Boys and Girls: Old Testament by Joan C. Webb. Standard Publishing: 1992. ISBN 087403681X
- Devotions for Little Boys and Girls: New Testament by Joan C. Webb. Standard Publishing: 1992. ISBN 0874036828
- First and Favorite Bible Lessons for Preschoolers by Beth Rowland Wolf. Group Publishing: 1996. ISBN 1559456140
- The Rhyme Bible Storybook for Toddlers by LJ Sattgast. Zondervan: 1999. ISBN 0310700787
- The Word and Song Children's Bible by Stephen Elkins. Broadman/Holman: 2000. ISBN 0805430121
- Incredible Edible Bible Fun: Making God's Word Memorable with Easy Recipes Children Can Do by Nanette Goings. Group Publishing: 1997. ISBN 0764420011
- Count On Math: Activities for Small Hands and Lively Minds by Pam Schiiler and Lynne Peterson. Gryphon House: 1997. ISBN 0876591888
- Christian Mother Goose: Book of Nursery Rhymes by Marjorie Ainsborough Decker. Penguin Putnam Inc.: 2001. ISBN 0448425114
- Phonemic Awareness: Playing with Sounds to Strengthen Beginning Reading Skills by Jo Fitzpatrick. Creative Teaching Press: 1997. ISBN 1574712344
- Phonemic Awareness: Listening Activities to Develop Pre- Reading Skills by Hildi Kang. Fearon Teacher Aids: 1997. ISBN 1564179443
- Phonemic Awareness Activities for Early Reading Success by Wiley Blevins. Scholastic: 1997. ISBN 0590372319
- Phonemic Awareness Songs and Rhymes by Kimberly Jordano and Trisha Calella-Jones. Creative Teaching Press: 1998. (There are three books in this series – Fall,
Winter, and Spring)
- Phonemic Awareness Ideas - from PALS
- Science Arts: Discovering Science Through Art Experiences by Mary Ann Kohl. Bright Ring Publishing: 1993. ISBN 0935607048
- Bible Learning Games: Reproducible Activities for Ages 2 and 3 by Mary Rose Pearson. Rainbow Books: 2000. ISBN 0937282723
- Wee Sing Bible Songs (booklets and cassette) by Pamela Conn Beall and Susan Hagen Nipp. Price, Stern, Sloan: 2002. ISBN 0843177683
Music by Jim Gill
- Jim Gill Sings The Sneezing Song and Other Contagious Tunes
- Jim Gill Makes It Noisy In Boise, Idaho
- Jim Gill Sings Do Re Mi On His Toe Leg Knee
Music and Books by Raffi
- Singable Songs for the Very Young
- Rise and Shine
Music by Greg and Steve
- We All Live Together, Volume 4
Other Resources for Teaching Three Year Olds
Ages and Stages - Three Year Olds
Brightly Beaming Resources - Preparatory Curriculum by Katrina Lybbert
Before Five in a Row by Jane Claire Lambert